Top Social

create classic children's clothing

Retro Refashion

Tuesday, March 20, 2012



I love watermelon, but didn't find it appealing as the collar on this little romper I had in Anja's closet.  It was one of the garments in a bag of hand-me-downs kindly given by a friend.  While I think the fabric and shape is adorable, I just had to change the collar.  I also had to almost force myself not to add my favourite, beloved peter pan collar...it's such a go-to look for me.  Instead, I opted for another collar I've had my eye on: the ruffled collar.  I've tried it once before, but it looked way too clownish.  This time, I made sure it was subtle, much like the following blouses from a couple of designer boutiques I admire:















First of all, removal of the collar.




Cut a couple inches off the bottom for the collar.




Original back becomes the front.




I simply gathered the strip of fabric I cut from the original hem.










I should mention that I removed the top button on the back so it didn't interfere with my stitching.




To make sure the serged seam didn't show on the right side, I stitched underneath the collar.







Some views of the back.










Voila!



















I hope this example of upcycling might encourage anyone to do the same with a garment that needs a bit of a makeover.  It's great for the pocketbook, and the environment...win - win!












8 comments on "Retro Refashion"
  1. What a great idea! Wish I had seen this last year before we outgrew and donated some dresses I had like that! Such a cutie-pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so much more modern!!! Great refashion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! It's a very subtle ruffle, and it doesn't detract from your girl's sweet smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! Love what you did for this refashion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial!! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what fabric was on the back of the watermelon collar?

    ReplyDelete

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature